About Govas

GOVAS works closely with the Stockport Children and Young People Directorate, but we are a fully independent association of governors affiliated to the equally independent National Governors Association. Every governor in Stockport is automatically a GOVAS member (as long as your institution pays their subscriptionof £10.00 PA)and our Management Committee is made up exclusively of serving volunteer governors in Stockport’s schools – nursery, primary secondary and special. Our biggest strength is our links with all the school governors in Stockport through our newsletter, special communications, and this website.  


The School Forum who are they and what do they do click here for further information

Welcome to the 17th edition of the Schools Forum Newsletter…….

In this issue, we are including key points from the Schools Forum meeting held on 8 December 2016 particularly; Road Safety near Schools, Admission Appeals Funding Arrangements, Apprenticeship Levy, Scheme for Financing Schools 2016 Proposals and 2017/18 Schools Budget/Funding Arrangements. A full copy of the minutes will be made available via the Council web-site in due course, see section 9 below.

Schools Forum Meeting 8 December 2016 – Key Points

1. Matters Arising from 29 September 2016 Meeting minutes

No key issues to report.


Report presented as tabled

Discussions: Individual representatives outlined pertinent road safety issues to their own school/known areas. Jon Roper requested details of “Operation Eagle Eye” be distributed to all primary schools. The key project plan includes School Audits to be undertaken from January 2017 over a three year period.

Decisions: Schools Forum members supportive of the plans.


1. Nick Whelan requested members email him further details of any school specific matters to himself (email address provided within report).

2. Nick to provide schools with detail of which School Audits will be undertaken when.

3. Key Road Safety information to be re-distributed to schools.


Report presented as tabled

Discussions: Clarification was sought relating to VA schools and Academy SLA arrangements and additional concerns expressed by maintained head teacher’s ability to be involved in/input into the Panel hearings.

Decisions: Schools Forum members agreed to maintain current arrangements


1. Request for Admissions team to attend future meeting and discuss further the role/input of school head teachers into the Appeals Panel process.


Report presented as tabled

Discussions: Peter Hughes presented the report and its content along with any additional information/updates now available post report publication. Further discussion took place relating to the recent process undertaken to formally write to members not attending two or more meetings in the last academic year.

Decisions: N/A


1. September 2017 review of Terms of Reference document to include proposal to update section 8.4 to include consideration to “apologies” provided by members;

2. Future annual review of member “non-attendance” to be updated to include the proposed letter being shared with Schools Forum members prior to distribution; and

3. Request for some further Induction training be provided to recent new members.


Report presented as tabled

Discussions: Peter Hughes presented a formal report which provided details of the latest news/developments relating to the subject matter.

Decisions: N/A


1. No key actions – All appropriate/associated matters to be picked up by Alison Cresswell via feedback from the respective head teacher consortia meetings from each sector.


Report presented as tabled.

Discussions: Peter Hughes presented a report which outlined the proposed LA amendments to the Scheme document, timeline of activity and the draft consultation document. Further discussion took place relating to document links and key aspect of statutory requirement to provide three year financial plans.


1. All LA recommendations, plans and timeline agreed/endorsed


1. Peter Hughes to discuss with Internal Audit key issue relating to multi-year school financial plans and amend document if appropriate prior to distribution.


Report presented as tabled.

Discussions: The report presented Schools Forum members with details of the construction of the 2017/18 Schools Budget and the components within each of the three notional blocks (i.e. Early Years, Schools and High Needs).

Discussion took place in relation to impact on providers of any reduction in funding provided to early years settings (i.e. statutory requirements, staffing/pupil ratios, cost pressures, minimum wage, etc.). LA officers however outlined the requirement to ensure the costs of EY support services and funding model need to be contained within the quantum envelope of funding provided via the new national formula.


1. Schools Forum members agreed transfer of the Education Services Grant (retained duties) funding being transferred back to the Council;

2. Schools Forum members supported the LA preferred Model B plan relating to construction of the Schools and High Needs block budgets;

3. Primary and Secondary sector representatives agreed to De-Delegate funding for the same services as 2016/17; and

4. Schools Forum members approved the indicative budget levels for Central/Statutory function as outlined at section 9.2


1. Local Authority to review early years consultation outcomes and budget options available to manage the total costs within the early years block of funding allocated based on the new national formula; and

2. LA officers to continue to prepare the 2017/18 budget in accordance with the plans/decisions endorsed/taken as per items 1-4 above and present further updates to members in due course.


Report presented as tabled

Discussions: Discussion took place in relation to the traffic issues in the Reddish area for members to deal with when accessing/departing meetings.


1. All future Schools Forum meetings to be held at the Aquinas College due to its more central location.

9. Where do I find Schools Forum Information?

The Schools Forum meetings are held, administered and clerked in accordance with any other council meetings and the minutes are recorded and presented on the councils web-site alongside all Schools Forum business matters (i.e. reports), please find link below: